9.01.2006

start of a long weekend

drafting project [03]


I finished up my last of the three "sketches" and turned them in for group critique yesterday evening. My teacher liked the set a lot, so that's good! :) Now I've got to pick one of the three, enlarge the design, transfer onto a larger sheet of bristol board, and ink. I think I'm going to use the third design I did (pictured above) because I like the contrast of the controlled diagonal lines against the more abstract (but still controlled in its own way) background pattern. I also like the play of the negative white space on this one too.

The weather today is delciously cold and gloomy!! I know that must sound so twisted to be enjoying the rather dour weather, but after ages of sunshine and heat, I'm welcoming the change with open arms. The region needed the rain anyway! It also gave me an excuse to break out the longer slacks and light cardigans today. :) I wore my Anthroplogie wide-leg slacks and a pink/white stripe cardigan today; very 1940s in the look. ;) I decided that I really needed to get out of the house this morning (no classes today!) so I went to Ross in search of a black handbag. My faithful Target purchase from last winter had kicked the bucket--I didn't realize how bad it looked until I pulled it out yesterday! Eeek! I'm now the owner of a gorgeous Nine West handbag; its got plenty of interior space and lots of little compartments for all my stuff. ;) I also scored a pair of Chinese Laundry black heels to replace my aging pair. They've got a slightly elongated round toe, which is far more flattering on my than a really round toe. Very pretty and lady-like, and will go with my wool pleated dress perfectly! ;)

I've worked a little on the wool pleat dress today! I have to say, this design has morphed from a modern design into something that has a distinct 1940s flair. Maybe that could be because my brain only works one way? ;) lol. It seems almost everything "modern" I make ends up looking very retro 1940s/50s in some way or another... Anyway, I need to make a few tweaks to the design and I should have it done very soon. It was a snap to make; basically the major seams were at the shoulders and sides. I think I'm going to let the front pleats out a tad though; I adjusted this pattern to be a little more fitted through the bodice and although it looks fine now, I can see that if I were to gain a few pounds it would be a little too tight. :p Otherwise, I think this basic pattern could be used again... :) Hehe.

I plan on trotting over to JoAnn's tomorrow in an attempt to procure a copy of Vogue 8146. I saw it at Hancock's today, but decided that JoAnn's sale on Vogue patterns was a better deal. ;) Anyway, I thought the jacket would be super cute using some black and white fabric I've got. Would go supurbly with jeans or pencil skirts. Versitility is key in my wardrobe these days!! :)

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!! :)

No comments: