9.20.2007

:: and when she was ill... ::

preparing to ship

You know the poem that goes like this?

There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead;
And when she was good
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad she was horrid.


Replace the words “good” with well, and “bad” with ill, and that is pretty much my life. After being dragged, half-awake, stumbling and feverish by my mother to the doctor’s for bloodwork (because 48 hours after going on the antibiotic I was not showing any improvement), we found out that I have mononucleosis. Now its not the most life-altering illness in the long-term sense, but it certainly has thrown me for a bit of a loop!

I’m at least not competing with the cats for Who Sleeps the Most Hours in a Day Award™, the sore throat is abating, but the fatigue has me keeping close to home (and the sofa). The doctor says I’m to baby myself, get some rest and whatnot, because if I don’t this could last for longer than the usual 1-3 months (and we don’t want that!). So I’m having to drop out of school for the semester (per the Doctor’s recommendation), and take a chill pill. *sigh* I can tell in about two weeks this is going to drive me utterly nuts, but alas, a small price to pay for good health!

No shopping, no exercising (especially right now with the increased risk of accidentally bursting my spleen... ick!), no quick visits to the local library (especially since my immune system is shot to pieces, and there are lots of little ones with germies running around there!), no running out to Starbucks or my favorite thrift shop on a lark. I have to reteach myself to find things to occupy my days at home. At least I’ve got my business to work on (and goodness knows that needs tidying!), and the boxes of vintage clothes are looking very promising from a cursory glance-through. Plus there are always the hundred and one projects that I can work on while sitting down. But its very frustrating because I get tired at even the littlest tasks; taking a shower suddenly means I have to take a nap afterward. Even crafting is a bit of a stretch for me; I tried working on some of my decopauged bracelets the other day and it took twice as long to get one done because I had to keep taking rests! This illness certainly does not agree with my “go,go,go” personality, but alas, what is one to do?!

The road to recovery is going to be a tough, frustrating one. There is no guarantee that I’ll be magically better by the holidays, or even by the time next semester starts in the winter. But I’m trying to look at it from the perspective that God has granted me a huge chunk of time in which I have no real obligations or things I must do. Its causing me to stop, look, listen and contemplate--things I haven’t had “time” for in the past year. In a way, this is a blessing.

Thank you all for your kind concern the past few days... it really means a lot to me right now because I feel so isolated and “stuck”. You all are such sweethearts!! *hugs all round*

cheers & creativity,
    ♥ casey [ email me ]

p.s. I've been chipping away (even so slowly!) at some projects and such... stay tuned for pictures and details!

No comments: